Subject: [Leica] Is Eggleston in the right? What is the meaning of "limited edition"?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 05:14:52 -0400

Its just that EDITIONS in the graphics print making sense was not simply a
term which had dollar signs all over it. It came out of the process itself.
A stone or silkscreen or metal plate was only good for so many images as it
simply for oblivious reasons wore away and the image would get softer.
Early on in the edition is where you wanted to be. And those would cost
more. And for good reason as they'd be sharper.
The edition was defined by how many images one could produce from the
printing medium. A stone could make a lot more than a sheet of starched
silk. Or a potato cut in half.
It was for obvious reasons the stone would be broken when you were done
printing with it. It had gotten past the point where it would produce prints
to your liking. And you'd want any more prints made from it to be done by
you or your people with the money going into your bank account not some guy
you never met in the year 2525.

Photography by nature on the other hand is not about that.
Photography  never wears out;  a negative or slide or digital file can by
nature produce as many images as you'd want. Millions. Billions. You can
stack them up past the Empire state building to the moon.

And chances are next year or next decade when you return to that neg or file
the prints you'd make would look even better as the software and hardware
and people wear get better in time. As we are in the middle of burgeoning
image making technology we photographers. We've gone quickly from dye to
pigment to carbon and who knows what will be shooting out of those inkjets
next year? I'm guessing other metals than carbon. And the papers are getting
fabulous being made of Bamboo and returning to traditional Japanese  and
German paper making processes from hundreds of years ago mainly for the use
of water color people.

The idea of retiring a neg came out of desperate attempts to establish
earlier on photographs as a viable thing for gallery owners to make money
on. Why buy Pepper #6 for huge bucks if the artist is still alive cranking
them out? Or his son is?
I feel for the gallery owner who needs the latest BMW M or collector who
needs his body of collected work to keep their value but the medium itself
is just not about that.
Ansel was firmly against and and he in his writings on the issue certainly
convinced me.
I find destroying a neg to be an ultimate tragedy. And an insult against the
photographic process. And I'm not going to proceed in that direction.
All I can so is what I'd do. I cant speak for anyone else.
I've found at the AIPAD show last week seeing top work from the top 80 photo
galleries a hell of a lot of limited editions. And I find such forced
business practices disheartening. I never thought it would get this big when
I first started seeing it I thought it was an unfortunate fad done by second
rate greedy business people. Not its quite accepted.
I will never succumb to it in my own work practices. And I'm not the only
one.