Subject: [Leica] Adobe kills creative suite
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 20:15:40 +0200
References: <1367928983.35697.YahooMailNeo@web125104.mail.ne1.yahoo.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C543FCB3@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <D902B996-72EA-4167-8FBE-8A2946C32D3A@sfr.fr> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C5445269@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <004c01ce4b79$1d4aa400$57dfec00$@verizon.net> <9B361217-B900-4B18-A44F-376CBC1E649B@sfr.fr> <006801ce4bb4$bb0449e0$310cdda0$@verizon.net> <CAF8hL-GBzAjKxbRWfwFThpevK8TY=E_7RPnViyaFf4p_od=xmQ@mail.gmail.com>

I am no expert, but basically Richard is right: you never "buy the
software", you buy a license to use the software (I am talking about normal
commercial software here, not open source or shareware or similar pinko
stuff). In fact there are court cases on both sides of the Atlantic about
whether you can resell downloaded software (and music and film) to someone
else as long as you ensure it is erased from your own computer(s). The
jurisprudence in this area is still developing.

I think companies provide free updates of the OS due to enlightened
self-interest, since most updates have to do with security.

I can see why they like the subscription model: all users are automatically
on the same version, no installation on the user end--all this probably adds
to less resources needed for tech support. And of course you have the
revenue stream.

I will not be joining this, partly because of the price, and partly because
I dislike being dependent on being connected. Of the airlines I fly
regularly, only one (Norwegian) provides free wifi on board its planes, for
example--and I like to be able to work on my pics when travelling. Just one
of many reasons why CS3 will be the last Photoshop I will buy, although I
will consider upgrading Lightroom (I am currently on version 3) as long as
it remains available the old-fashioned way.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain