Subject: [Leica] Winogrand exhibit
From: leicaphong at gmail.com (Phong)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:06:53 -0400
References: <CAF8hL-Ebe_DHomwGmo9rQENUqu0Z-mhNg3GJ299JYumrS34=SQ@mail.gmail.com> <CDB099ED.92F5%mark@rabinergroup.com> <CAF8hL-GQ7C3YsT+_zzLow-ikF7+r0e5mHHcM+38m6x6sott-0Q@mail.gmail.com> <6050E7FC-D886-47DF-8BBD-FCE5069984BD@frozenlight.eu> <CAF8hL-GNB_pfmZPZdZibQRg5X1ekKkCt8xjRccwvCQxLeFcp7Q@mail.gmail.com> <83FA0BB39D4D4AA7A01A0FD6B79C51C6@Family> <CAF8hL-FTgg4+Fb-ArNsDpZN2vav_cAXUO_Kk35Ld5RsaByL1yA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFuU78fLRt9mv2yt9+jbxHKJTaVtfBui1eRA=j3o+A4DNZwQuQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-ED35p=Gf24-DQ-eKQ3CKwH=1SEp4fbBEunYGpe51z9cw@mail.gmail.com> <CAFuU78e_i4LiMhTdiEUk9VrEnERdOdDhK0=QG_0nW4u9BHZ06Q@mail.gmail.com>

Not so odd.  What is absent in one's work is conspicuous only given the
context.
If you say A, B, C, E, F, G, it's entirely reasonable that people will
question you what happened to D.
Much less so if they ask about omega, a letter in a different sequence, in
a different alphabet.
I do not know enough of Winnogrand's work to say whether the absence of
blacks and asians in his work is conspicuous/questionable.  Maybe he only
worked the Park Avenue-type  crowds, for all I know.  Or small (white)
towns.  Or suburbia of the time.

Then there is a huge step from there to being racist.

As for Emmanuel's Michaelangelo who depicted scenes from the christian
bible, since the bible is sparsely populated by non-mediterranean races,
one can hardly conclude his view on said races based on their absence in
his work.

Not to say I agree / disagree with Richard, though the observation triggers
my curiosity nonetheless.

-Phong

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Winogrand exhibit)
Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Winogrand exhibit)