Subject: [Leica] OT: Vinyl Record Turntables
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 16:20:21 +0100

Dan is looking for a simple thing with onboard RIAA unit. At the price of
the 2 units being considered the other suggestions may be
price-innappropriate!

I used to engineer turntables decades ago at Garrard, and have a wide
experience of them. I have 4 different turntables here, (Goldmund Reference,
EMT 938, Roksan Xerxes and B&O 8002) though I don't play LPs often.

I checked out the Lenco site for the models you mention. The dearer one
certainly looks nicer, but the specs show little of whether one will sound
nicer than the other, though it is likely the wooden one will add less sound
of its own to the proceedings.

Of those two I would choose the dearer, personally.

There has been a resurgence of interest in playing LPs over the last few
years so there is a bigger choice of turntables now than for a long while,
though the bulk of new offerings are in the eye-candy status-boosting price
bracket rather than good bits of audio engineering IMHO...

If you want a fit and forget these may well be fine. If you have bigger
ambitions a Leica-like world of expensive fiddling around may open up to
impoverish you!

B&O turntables were all innovative designs, IMHO, their best product range
price v performance. Most are belt drive but there were at least one (I have
one) with a direct drive type linear motor. The cartridges are unobtainable
new, though there is a German dealer rebuilding them and Soundsmith in the
USA reverse engineered them and their versions are in current (expensive)
production.

There is no reason why a record player would scratch a record unless it was
broken in some way.

FD

Message from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] OT: Vinyl Record Turntables)