Subject: [Leica] PESO: RG Lewis and Leica M frustrations
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 22:02:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 May 2013 Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>wrote:

>I walked from my hotel to the Holborn Tube station this morning, and on the
>way, as is my habit, I stopped by RG Lewis on Southampton Row, one of
>London's best-known Leica >dealers. I have been coming in his shop for at
>least 10 years, and usually we have a chat. This time he was telling about
>his woes with the new M 240. He has one in the shop, a >demo. Since they
>were introduced, he has received and sold 7, all of which have been
>recalled for the lug issue. He was utterly frustrated about the fact that
>there simply no new >Leica product to sell--the M is vaporware, the ME
>also, the M9 is discontinued, so for anyone wanting to buy a new Leica M
>the options are very limited. He told me of another >dealer, in Mayfair,
>that is having cash flow problems--not having product to sell and paying
>Mayfair rents is a deadly combination.

>And to top it off, Leica is being extremely arrogant towards its dealers,
>basically telling them to just be happy they are Leica dealers and to shut
>up.

>Conclusion: brilliant products, lousy customer relations and even worse
>communications skills.

><http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/misc/390823669_759797.jpg.html>

>Cheers,
>Nathan
===========================================================================================================================================
With all these tales of woe about availability and lens calibration
concerns, etc., etc.,  my desire for a digital M is ebbing away.  I know I
has a way smaller sensor, but after handling a Fuji X10, I think I would
like to have a Fiji X20. When I tried the X10, it felt like a smaller M.  It
seemed like  camera I would always keep with me, and the X20 has better
features.   I wouldn't need to carry other lenses and I'm guessing I
wouldn't have to worry about sensor dust.  The X100S appeals too, with its
APS-C sensor, but I don't like being limited to the 35mm equivalent focal
length.  Too wide for me.

Alan

(Retired)
UPAA POY 1978