Subject: [Leica] Computer Question
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 12:29:58 -0700

I reviewed the specs and manual that you got with the drive.....

First,, let me ask you what about your computer is "slow"?  Opening files?
Saving files? LR4 or PS (whatever) version is slow to act upon commands?
Other?

Another way to ask that question is to ask you what did you expect this
product to do for you?  ( same possible answers as above)

The item you bought is a SSD, Solid State drive.  Its purpose is to speed up
the OS, speed up frequently used files, etc.  It replaces the mechanical HDD
with a solid state one.. My understanding ( and I could be wrong) is that
upon starting up the computer, the CPU takes files from your regular old
boot HDD, and copies them over to the SSD.  Then, when needed, the CPU
accesses the files not from the mechanical HDD, but rather this SSD.
Significantly shorter delays, significantly faster speeds of those files on
the SSD.

Having said that, the SSD does NOT save any files permanently.  Shut off
power, and it goes blank.  Nada.  Nothing. Saving or accessing files will be
as slow as before.  They will be saved on the mechanical HDD.

What I would say is that the SSD will accelerate the CPU operations that are
cached, including applications like ( and I say MAYBE here) LR4 or PS
whatever, and OS, but ( in your specific case) also including those parts of
a  file that are cached during image processing.

It will NOT speed up the storage of files.  Either write or read.

Does this help you to understand what you bought?

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LI7CTY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UT
F8&psc=1

I thought it would be an external drive that I could hook up to USB but it's
not!  There are evidently ways to install it in a drive bay, which I do
have.  What do I need to do that?  Is there any way to use it as an external
hard drive or would that defeat the purpose?

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Computer Question)
Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Computer Question)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Computer Question)
Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Computer Question)