Subject: [Leica] a photographer sued
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 05:55:03 -0700

It's also likely that, in the situation we've been discussing, the
plaintiffs want an injunction to simply stop what they consider the invasive
photography. But, in the U.S. an injunction can be expensive to obtain
because the general rule is that both parties, the eventual winner and the
eventual loser, bear the cost of their own representation.

The California statute to which I referred provides a for civil fine, treble
damages, disgorgement of any funds received from the use of the images, and,
if the defendant was acting for commercial purposes, possible punitive
damages. An award of punitive damages, which takes into account the
financial resources of the defendant, is an amount designed to punish and,
most importantly, make them stop the action complained of. Punitive damages
are often criticized because, with a wealthy defendant, they can be very
large.

But, if someone is actually constantly watching you and your family's
at-home life through telephoto lenses, your first concern is most likely
making them stop - not seeking some financial advantage.

In fact, invasion of privacy cases are often much more about injunctions
that about damage awards. They are a close relative of "misappropriation"
cases - where someone's (usually a celebrity's) image is used for a
commercial purpose (advertising) without their permission. In those cases,
actual damages can be quite large.

U.S. Constitutional rights are constantly coming into conflict with one
another. Although never specifically mentioned in the Bill of Rights, the
U.S. Supreme Court, for reasons I won't go into here, has long recognized a
right to privacy - or the right to be let alone. But that can easily
conflict with the First Amendment right to take a photograph. One does not
automatically trump the other. The courts and legislatures have to look at
what factors must be individually weighed to make a decision as to which
right prevails.

Again, I'm afraid what seem alike it should have an easy answer doesn't.

Bryan