Subject: [Leica] Computer Question
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:44:10 -0400

I just dropped a Sandisk 256Gb into my Mac Pro to house 10.7, 10.4, and
applications.   There is an adapter you can get from MaxUpgrades.com that
directly replaces a 3.5" HDD tray and runs the SSD right into the main SATA
bus. It is much, much faster, and the computer as a whole runs a bit cooler
(4 x 7200 rpm drives gets a little warm).

You need to separate your home directory (and documents) from the boot disk,
which sadly is impractical on a laptop. It's a fairly easy operation on a
desktop that can take more than one drive.  If you can't do this, you still
get a little boost, but the startup disk is constantly getting seeks, so any
contention for that drive is going to diminish an SSD's performance.

To change your SSD to an internal installation, use Carbon Copy Cloner to
clone your startup drive to your SSD (in an external enclosure).  Then
simply swap the drives.

Dante