Subject: [Leica] Imagescience Computer Recommendation
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:52:27 +0530

Tina,
I have been building my own computers for over 20 years now. For an imaging
computer nowadays, just keep these things in mind, these are the critical
things IMHO:

- 2 SSD drives, for the operating system and for the scratch disk - mine
are both 128GB, which I find adequate. Other hard drives do not matter too
much, just use the sizes/speed you need, and those you can get good prices
on. I have two Seagate 5400 rpm 3 TB disks on the main machine.

- minimum 32GB RAM, especially if you have to deal with D800E files (-:
64GB is even better. It does not have to be very high spec (expensive) RAM,
though

- With an eye to the future, buy a motherboard with a high speed
Thunderbolt port - it is becoming more common on Windows, and should speed
up external transfers considerably. I use an Asus P8Z77 - V Pro/Thunderbolt
motherboard, though I have not acquired any Thunderbolt drives yet, my next
external drive will be a Thunderbolt one. An additional advantage with
Thunderbolt is that they can be daisy chained.

- make sure that the capacity of your power supply is large enough to
handle all the components, internal and external (many USB devices draw
power from the main machine)

- The bigger the monitor the better, and one that calibrates well (most
monitors do not calibrate well at all), or better still a two monitor
system - I use a Dell 24" as the primary monitor, and an ancient Viewsonic
as the secondary one. The latter can be any old one that works, it is only
used to keep all the controls/palettes windows in Photoshop open, for
convenience, and of course, to maximise the image viewing area in the main
one.

The processor, graphic cards, etc are relatively less important - most
mainstream components available nowadays should work well.

Cheers
Jayanand