Subject: [Leica] Re; Buying Leica
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:33:33 -0400 (EDT)

 So Ted,

We're into speech censorship now. No one criticizes your right to
pontificate on photographic matters so why should you criticize Chris for
expressing his opinion. Leicas are not holy relics. They are optical,
mechanical, and now electronic devices. You have a feeling for them, GOOD.
But don't disparage someone else's different opinion. The LUG is an open
forum. Not a church. I admit that Chris was not as deferential in his
response to Tina as you might like but neither were you particularly politic
in your response to him.

But I want to criticize Tina on another ground. She justifies her adherence
to Leica equipment on the grounds of meeting the criteria for stock
agencies. She should realize that stock agencies are the curse of working
photographers. Every sale by a stock agency takes the bread out of the mouth
of a working photographer who would otherwise be employed to take a similar
picture. The availability of stock photos of almost every description is the
justification of the mass layoffs of working photographers from newspapers
and magazines. If you want to show how poor folk live in Guatemala, don't
pay to send a photographer down there. Just buy one of Tina's photos from an
agency. It will be much cheaper and the magazine will not be troubled by
transportation or medical costs.

She can justify the purchase of a $7000 camera on the grounds that it makes
her sale of pictures to stock agencies possible. But how does the laid off
photographer from the Chicago Sun-Times explain not being able to afford
milk for his children. Or for Chris for having to downplay a profession that
he clearly loves to support his own family. Blame it on Tina?

The answer is not to criticize Chris for his attack on the LUG faith but to
chastise Tina for her subversion of full photographic employment. And you
Ted. You should be ashamed. Youv'e got yours. You were fully employed for
years and received many honors for your work. Suppose many of your 250,000
photos had been available from stock agencies. What then?

Don't boycott Leica. BOYCOTT STOCK AGENCIES. Photographers should maintain
exclusive copyright to their pictures. One shutter click equals one
publication right. Else photographers are dooming themselves to
technological unemployment. I've seen it happen on newspapers, on TV, in
college education, now in photography.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Re; Buying Leica)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re; Buying Leica)