Subject: [Leica] IMGs: being. with bees.
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:14:43 -0700

Just saw this.  From the first picture, with the wings extended, it looks
like the top "bee" is actually a fly.  I only see two wings, not four,
classic fly eye "here's looking at you"  look, and the antennae are a bit
funny for a bee.  Perhaps a robber fly, but most have a longer, pointier
abdomen.  Not all, however.

I would say the smaller is definitely a bee.  It has the classic antennae
and look.

As far as behavior, I am not sure what is going on.  Maybe there is so much
nectar, no one feels threatened, or maybe they are drunk???  Ha.  If my
entomology prof is still alive, I will try to send him the photo and see
what he thinks.  Where, geographically,  are these taken?  Might be of some
help.

I have been out of the insect business for too long.  Forgotten most of what
I knew.  Use it or loose it, I guess.  there is a strange pollinator around
her that I have seen.  It has been on my lavender.  I think it is a fly,
too, but very different.

Aram