Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] IMGs: being… with bees…
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 19:36:34 -0700

Hi George.  I heard back from my source.  He is the new entomology
instructor at the UW.  The gist.....

It is indeed a robber fly, probably Laphrina sp. , and the behavior is that
it was looking for a snack.  It loves to eat flying insects like bees.

He sent a link with more pictures.

I guess I remember more than I think I do.  Don't think, just remember.
Here is the exchange:

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Aram Langhans wrote:

> Thanks for the speedy reply.  I take it that he/she was trying to prey on
> the small bee at the time the picture was taken.
>
> Aram

A snack. I've seen them take prey as heavy as themselves (and fly with it to
a feeding perch!) Some are cannibalistic.
-EAS

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] [LRflex] Re: [LRflex] IMGs: being… with bees…)