Subject: [Leica] 10 Sharpest Lenses
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:06:51 -0700

I was amused to see the Canon 24mm TS LII listed on top.  I have it as
well as some others Canons that are often said to be so great, and
they are equal to the best M optics I use.  Note that the tests cited
use 20 lp/mm for the comparisons.  For my large prints, I find the 40
lp/mm Leica and Zeiss test to more meaningful.  While it's problematic
comparing MTF charts by different companies, I've collected charts of
optics I've been interested in at
http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/MTF%20Charts.jpg .    In general, I'd
say the Leica MTF tests are the most likely to accurately depict
actual performance.

Compare the Canon 24 TS L2 (top center) to the Elmar 24 mm f/3.8
(three up from the bottom, second from the left).  I appreciate what
Canon accomplished with the new 24 TS, but in terms of sharpness, it's
just not the equal of the Leica optic, either in MTF or the real
world.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] 10 Sharpest Lenses)