Subject: [Leica] 10 Sharpest Lenses
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 00:12:14 -0400

>From what I know about sharpness if sharpness is your goal you use something
very close to the formats normal in this case 43mm for the 35mm format but
they make 50's as we all know.
A 55mm or 60mm or 4omm. Maybe a 35mm. Those are going to be your sharpest
glass.
- even a short tele is much harder to make sharp than a normal focal length
lens and wides even harder.
Long tales and ultrawide you can forget about it. Comparing their sharpness
to a near normal that is. They do what they do at their extremes its
impossible to make them sharp as a normal.

If they are saying an 18mm lens is in the same category of ultra sharpness
as a normal or extreme tele zoom and they all represent the sharpest of what
you can get if sharpness is your goal does not add up to me
Its great they can make them sharp at all to be usable. They they can make
them darned sharp.
My point is these in this article are various apples and oranges. Apples and
pears going on here. Comparing a normal against an ultra wide against a very
long tele and wide zooms seems odd to me all in the same basket. They are
going to have by nature very wide differences in digress of sharpness.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] 10 Sharpest Lenses)