Subject: [Leica] Quick look at the Fuji XE-1
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 21:18:56 -0700

Bob Adler and I got together this past week.  Bob was good enough to bring
down his XE-1 for me to view and answer some questions I had.

This was a 15 minute test.. I will get to what I discovered in the camera
that I found problematic..

The camera VF is a confusing mess of information.  An anti-M3 sort of.  Bob
said that it should be able to shut off all the visual gadgetry, but we
could not find the button(s?) to do so.  OK, I will take Bob's word that it
is possible... that would take away my comment about the VF info.

I was very interested in the MF focus peaking mode.  Bob had updated the FW,
so the camera was ready to go..we used a 50 ASPH Lux as the lens with a real
Fuji adapter.

What I discovered is the focus peaking works really well IF you have a fast
lens that is set to a wide open iris..  F2 ( or whatever) instead of F8.  At
F5.6-8, the image DOF is so great the focus peaking seems pretty
worthless... The in-focus areas are too great, and the plane of focus (
otherwise called the really in focus plane) is lost.  Remember, this is
using a non Fuji lens.. In MF mode.

The saving grace is that I had no problem focusing on what appears to be the
electronic equivalent of a ground glass. even at F8.  And as in the "old
days" the GG was all over the frame, so you could focus anywhere.

Shutter lag seemed short in this setup.  Nothing I found an issue.

A nice camera.. YMMV

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Quick look at the Fuji XE-1)