Subject: [Leica] IMG: Motion and Stop-Motion TINA MANLEY
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:29:23 -0700

Tina Manley SHOWED:
Subject: [Leica] IMG: Motion and Stop-Motion

> I have two photos motion.  The first one shows motion:

> and the second one shows stop-motion:

> (note the lens on that one, Ted!)

Hi Tina,
I knew the lens went to a good home and would be used well! :-)

Action at it's best! Nothing like shooting moving critters, dogs or other
wise when using a manual focus lens, in particular a LEICA 2.8 280mm hand
held! You have to focus and swing it about like it was a 50mm! :-( Trust me
it was done hundreds and hundreds of times. YEP I MISSED SOME! :-( You heard
it here first! :-(

Tina I like the second shot as peak action of all four feet and dog
airborne! And everything sharp! As it should be! This is the kind of final
photos we all strive for while shooting action, trust me it doesn't always
happen. If you are thinking about shooting sports or any action packed
subject it's best to be prepared to shoot hundreds and using a motor drive
can be helpful if you make the motor drive work properly for the action is
helpful.

HOWEVER A MOTOR DRIVE ISN'T THE BE ALL TO END ALL CAPTURING THE PEAK ACTION
! That still comes down to you the photographer and your instinct of
tripping the shutter at the peak action moment!

Today however many of the younger crowd "machine-gun every subject they
shoot" and still miss peak action because they rely on the motor drive. But
the motor drive has no instinct to "click the shutter" at the right time.
ERGO? TODAY THEY MISS FAR MORE THAN THEY GET RIGHT!

However, practice makes perfect as they say and with the 280mm I used at the
Olympics and many other international sports events from 1984 through to
1992 with the 1.4 extender and 2X in Barcelona, my last games! :-( Before
leaving for the games I did a work out with the lens while standing at the
side of a local highway for 6 weeks nearly every day.

I shot on coming cars manually focusing on the front license plate while
they were doing 100 MPH. Trust me lots of them slowed down thinking I was a
police officer with a radar gun! :-) The idea was..... given I was shooting
film in those days, lots of rolls unfortunately and souped every
night.:-(  To improve my instinct to shoot as I had the license plate in
sharp focus.

During the six weeks it was possible to see the in focus frames become
better and better by the day. So when it was high speed action sports, my
re-action to the action was wonderfully improved. Along with my instinct to
trip the shutter quicker in re-action to the action.

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)