Subject: [Leica] Some students
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:23:57 -0500 (CDT)

On 28 Aug 2013, at 16:00, Aram Langhans wrote:

> Just completed my summer school class at the local college.  Here are a
> few shots of some my my students intently working on some labs.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/s_001/yvcc-3536.jpg.html
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/s_001/yvcc-3535.jpg.html
>
> Good crew this summer.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Aram

=====================================================================================================================================================
These are quite nice, but I hope you will allow me (since this is the type
of thing I did for 40 years) to suggest that a lower angle might have had
more  impact.
That would have brought the students'  faces closer behind the hand with the
pencil, given a more dynamic upright to the top of the pipette, and allowed
the face of the student on the right to be seen better.

In the second shot, I think a step to the left and a lower angle might have
shown both faces and emphasized the gaze of student with glasses even more
than as is, since she would be looking more toward the camera.  Also, the
way it is, the pipette and the woman's hair merge together tonally, and you
want us to see the pipette.   Changing angle would put her hand against the
out of focus background.

I would also have used (gently) a few gradient filters in Bridge to shade
the corners of the picture to make the pipetting the main interest and keep
the eye from being distracted with white paper or scuffed countertop.

Alan

(Retired)
UPAA POY 1978
amr3 at uwm.edu