Subject: [Leica] Otus no regrets
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:59:09 -0400

Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon  just about to be out.
Zeiss has aligned its Otus line to be not just for mirrorless bodies any
more but for DSLR'S of the Canon Nikon flavors so far.
4 grand usd I just got word of via email on a 35mm 1.4.
Seems they are saying its Hasselblad Zeiss quality glass in the modern age
for your DSLR'S.
They are huge. And I'm sure heavy. Just like the Hasselblad Zeiss glass I'm
sued to.
There was a Jazz guy who played winds for Ray Charles who had one put on his
Nikon F that was 1970. I was working at the nightclub they were playing at.

They really seem be going after Leica in the sense they they are making a
lens which all others would be compared against. Vying for top dog.
And in the Contarex bulls eye sense.
No ones telling them to keep the weight or bulk down.

by coincidence  I'd just been scooping out 35 1.4's for my D700 Nikon even
looking at third Party Sigma's. I don't even have a decent slow 35mm optic
for my D700.
This Otus  thing looks like a 135mm!
You pay the four grand so you get less sick less fast of lugging it around!
Its one of those lenses you get when you die and go to heaven.
Only its weightless. As I'm sure you'd be.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Otus no regrets)