Subject: [Leica] Sony a7 and a7R
From: hjwulff at gmail.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:18:55 -0700

Vignetting issues can be corrected under some circumstances, but not always.
Then there is the side to side colour shift issue, which has been noted on
NEX cameras as well as Leicas. In fact, NEX cameras exhibit this more
strongly. Since the Sonys will hardly be corrected for optimum use with
Leica wideangles, and we know how much difficulty there has been for Leica
with those, I very much doubt that they will work well on the Sonys.

As others have noted: a modern camera is best used with its own lenses.

Adapted tele lenses might work acceptably, but with no in body image
stabilization and no auto diaphragm, it's hardly an optimal solution.

I've tried various tele lenses, including 180, 280, 400 and 560mm handheld
on the Leica240 as well as on the Olympus EM-5. Without stabilization, I can
readily use the 180 and possibly the 280 on the Leica but all are useable on
the Olympus in spite of twice the magnification involved. If I don't use
magnification, I can use the 280 reasonably well on the Leica, but
magnification without stabilization is very problematic. With the Olympus, I
can use the 560 handheld with magnified focussing (not great, but doable).

With a better electronic viewfinder, focussing with the Sony A7 might well
be better, but without IBIS I think longer lens usage might still be a
problem.

So that leaves mid range lenses. And for that, the Sony will probably have
very good lenses of its own. But, if you have a Noctilux 0.95 lying around
gathering dust, this might be a great camera to put behind it.