Subject: [Leica] Paper for b&w printing
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:10:59 -0700

Although it may seem at odds with usual character of a Leica shooter (not
to mention all my work making the most archival carbon pigment prints),
I've gotten the most pleasure lately from the B&W dye prints I've been
making.  There is something about dyes on metallic paper that shows off the
quality -- fine detail and dynamic range -- of a good B&W image file that
is beyond any other medium I have ever experienced.  They have knocked the
silver prints off my office walls.

Although I make dedicated inksets like these for my work, I've also made a
profile that one can use with QTR (
http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html) and an Epson 1400, 1430
or, in Europe, the 1500 (I think), with Epson's standard Claria color dye
inks.  See http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/1400-Claria-BW.pdf .  They may
not be "archival," but they may also be almost as good as color UltraChrome
on some papers and when sprayed.

I recently made a post on LuLa and received this response from someone who
tried the profile on his 1400:

"Saw your praise of the [Red River Paper] Pearl Metalic and Claria so I
gave it a try with your curves. Wow! Love the result. Far and away best bw
I've done. The light coming back from the metal is special. ..."

The technology is really un-forgiving.  In making the largest prints I
could on my 17" roll of metallic paper, I found that my old medium format
film files were often not up to the task.  Only the best Tech Pan mf
negatives held up to the dye print medium.  The good Leica files were much
more often up to the task.  And I guess that is the connection to Leica
owners or those who appreciate the quality.  This is the best way I have
found to show off the quality of the files I can produce.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Paper for b&w printing)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Paper for b&w printing)