Subject: [Leica] Is my M8 turning into a paperweight?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 09:04:00 +0100

I bought my M8 new in December 2008, and have taken perhaps 20,000 pictures
with it during the 5 years I have owned it. Lately, I have noticed that
pictures taken in low light (so ISO of 1250 or sometimes even 640) have the
horizontal line problem with increasing frequency. Last night we had friends
over for Thanksgiving dinner, and to my dismay, the problem now even occurs
at ISO 320, as in this picture:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/misc/20131130-L1010169.jpg.html

This is the first time I have seen this phenomenon at such a low ISO.

Now I wonder if it can really be that a sensor "wears out" after so few
actuations? Obviously, the camera is long out of warranty so sending it to
Solms is not an option. Have others experienced this?

In any case, I am taking the Fuji X-Pro 1 with me to Korea later today, it
is a much better choice at this time of year when the light is low in
northern latitudes.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman