Subject: [Leica] Is my M8 turning into a paperweight?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:19:36 +1000

Nathan these lines sometimes become more obvious when an image is
considerably underexposed and the darks boosted in developing (as does
noise of course). It is possible that individual photosites or the sensor
board develop problems, but I would have thought those would be evident
much earlier in the life of the body. Because of the way the data is read a
photosite (pixel) problem on that CCD could manifest as a line. Another
possibility sometimes discussed is that cosmic radiation from air travel
can affect sensors in some (rare?) circumstances.
It may be possible to map out individual sensor faults. I think that I
would shoot some careful test shots with varying exposures and ISO values
and see if I could isolate any specific problem points. You could contact
Customer Service for info, perhaps with samples?

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman