Subject: [Leica] Paro Airport landing Bhutan
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:13:44 +0800

Hi Nathan,
I too prefer airports on flat land and near the sea but I keep living in
places with interesting approaches. The old Kai Tak airport in Kowloon Hong
Kong (closed 1998) was one of the world's great approaches. The pilot aimed
at a checker board on a hill just before landing and executed a 45 degree
turn down through the laundry lines in order to hit the runway. It was so
difficult all the pilots were on high alert and in about 50 years operation
no landing plane ever crashed into the housing estates around the airport
approach although a few slid off the other end of the runway into the sea.
The new airport at Chek Lap Kok - on flattened reclaimed land is very boring
by comparison.
Check out:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvbm2ZlsnQ> and a whole lot more videos in
the same bunch.