Subject: [Leica] Noctilux - Mark
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 20:52:50 +1000

I'm sure that the new metering systems are more sophisticated, but I
understand what the classic one does at least.
With the focus there is an unheralded leap forward (for Leica) in that you
can directly compare what the sensor sees  with what the RF says.
This can be good and bad.
No wondering (or excuses) about front focusing back focusing focus shifting
RF calibration. You can SEE if you feel the need to test.
One interesting (for me anyway) side note to this is that the technicians
at Solms are saying that the new camera is more sensitive to lens
calibration than anything previously. I'm told also that they have all new
standards and equipment for the RF adjustment in the factory. As previously
told, I dropped my M and Summilux 50 ASPH in Barcelona. I misaligned the
complex focus mechanism in the lens minutely apparently when crunching the
hood on stone.  I couldn't see any difference in accuracy in practical
terms nor feel any difference in the mechanism. The vertical RF was knocked
off adjustment in the camera. I kept shooting thereafter for a couple of
hundred frames with the EVF.

What they did was to perform the normal full check and calibrate/adjust
everything on the camera and then start on the lens (to match it as
perfectly as possible). For much work on that lens they essentially tear it
down completely and rebuild it anyway. Now to actually get the things back
in my hands (in transit since 12 December so far).

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman