Subject: [Leica] IMG: LET US GIVE YOU A LIFT
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:36:17 -0800

In the USA:  Significantly less cost, significantly easier to find a
carpenter rather than a mason with the skills to put up a house, wood does
not conduct heat/cold nearly as well as brick, better insulating
capabilities, faster build, flexible in earthquake regions, easier to run
plumbing and electrical in the natural areas between the studs, very much
lower maintenance ( my Son's 1850 house requires a lot of replacement of the
mortar between the bricks), insulation is a breeze to put between the studs,
etc.... and we have a lot of 2x4 yielding trees ... a lot.

Basically in the USA, most buildings since the teens have been wood studs
with maybe a brick fa?ade.  Therefore there are those that are knowledgeable
in the building process using those materials.  Thus, it is just easier to
get it done that way....

If our building heritage were cement block with brick overlay, like a lot of
the rest of the world, it would be the opposite.....

Note that most of our commercial buildings are just the opposite... cement
block with maybe brick overlay... and with interior walls of wood ( or
metal) studs.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

What advantage does wooden construction give over brick and mortar?
Cheers
Jayanand

Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMG: LET US GIVE YOU A LIFT)