Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:00:03 -0800

On Feb 20, 2014, at 5:46 PM, Jim Laurel (gmail) <jplaurel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All I've seen, Steve, is some anecdotal evidence. Don't get me started on
> Ken Rockwell, but on this page, he does have some examples of a 21mm Super
> Elmar-M adapted to the A7 that appears to show sensor reflections and
> smeared corner detail. Lurking around the dpreview forums, I've seen
> others report similar results. But of course it's hard to know for sure
>
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2013-12-leica-sony-canon/

hi Jim, we are happy to see you back. My point of course is....we don't
exactly have PROOF of anything, though we do have anecdotal and selected
stories by people with an agenda. No completeness or worst case scenarios by
unbiased individuals with data for the leica M240, as well as the Sony A7
and A7r. Selected stories to make a  point by people who wish to make a
point. No semblance of a real unbiased careful comparison. All of this is
then presented to a leica rah rah forum by people who like leica, whether
they use one or not.. I would like to know what the real facts are, based on
real world data, with carefully done comparisons. And if the cameras in
question have flaws in some areas, I will use the cameras accordingly,
always the case for all of us.
I used a CV 12 mm lens on my A7r, with many usable results, but some
unacceptable results as well.
That alerted me to be careful, especially with the widest of the wide.
Extrapolating this to all lenses under 50mm is not a conclusion based on the
facts. Some results of the widest lenses are acceptable, and we need to have
some reasonable ground rules. It occurred to me that we don't have rigorous
comparative data, even for the M240. What is clear is that many!! lenses on
the A7r, give incredibly wonderful results, it would seem far greater in
number for the A7r than the M240 because the list includes most lenses ever
made by most optical companies, including all of the leica R lenses.

Looked at in this light, I feel that the least we need to do, is approach
this question with complete  understanding of the situation, an open mind,
and armed with some real world comparative data.

By the way, the above subject line says OT, but in my estimation this
subject is very much on topic.

thanks for bringing it up,

Steve

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R)