Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:32:41 -0800
References: <CAH1UNJ3rpUAt8xxnMJdNGC9L_ncq8-ogF2Z1s_xSyqh9yHtR6Q@mail.gmail.com> <1442780B-17BA-4304-953A-58140190E65F@icloud.com> <CAFfkXxtG=Bn6-6KZKazX04TjwgLAeLOW77JZCWEoXSEB97DpJg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh6T-GGohk5c8+wO+TZkFo6SM+h0UpJswVyN3booNh3FVA@mail.gmail.com> <CAFfkXxs=W_0Ps1tUiKRjjdj0yFQXkJwuPOMQu1QiDbZr7X6+hA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh4Gtzd3MfbwwoMk-Ab9rMbGQq8X+AXL=dEMRySgHO9yPw@mail.gmail.com> <0b1301cf2e49$9fe66300$dfb32900$@verizon.net> <CAJ3Pgh6=y+Wv9djZ5eCR8OZ2nK8w+Bvsh7oNksZRCgatSc3Yug@mail.gmail.com> <0bb801cf2ecc$d20c9600$7625c200$@verizon.net> <CAJ3Pgh7dmGvdeZKa7Le4bNrO5v=306CVB_B9i_SjTaeTe=SeHw@mail.gmail.com> <012c01cf2f1d$da84d850$8f8e88f0$@verizon.net> <CAJ3Pgh7uFtxe-pWo_wB8G6=tWLEWkxQyGmSHbNZRzPu7iW5wCA@mail.gmail.com>

If you are focusing at working aperture, what advantage is there to native
lenses?

I'm not so sure Sony has this thought out......

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R

> ... the reality is that focusing at shooting aperture is just not as
> discriminating as wide open focusing. ...

Exactly.  So, one of the first things I did was set up a system that
allowed me to easily focus the Sony and it's 35mm FE at f2.8.  The result
was images at f8 that were not critically sharp.  As I've said before, the
a7r is far from a perfect camera.

That said, I've also found that the focus magnifier makes a huge
difference.  It does seem to allow stopped down focus viable.

One of the things I miss with the 35mm FE optic is a mechanical infinity
focus stop (can't have one when it varies with f-stop).  With my dual or
multiple focus stacking workflow, it's simplest to take one shot at close
distance and immediately move the lens to the infinity stop.  With the Sony
a7r I have had to find where f 5.6 - 11 is at it's best by using the focus
distance scale that is in the viewfinder.  It's not quite as easy, but it
works.  It seems to be just off the left edge of when the infinity symbol
appears in the viewfinder.

> First time ( in all the A7r reviews I have read) that I have heard of
> this....

The reviews usually never get into this kind of detail.  So, for a fanatic
like me, it's always a bit of a crap shoot buying equipment.  (B&H must get
very tired of me returning equipment that was over-hyped in reviews.)  I
really do try to wring as much out of the hardware as I can for my very
particular type of photography.

With the B&W dyes on metallic paper medium that is among my favorite now,
even the a7r cannot achieve what is needed for a 17 by 24 inch panorama
without multi-frame stitching.  The edges are not good enough with the 35mm
FE optic and a single frame.  So, if the viewfinder with the 35mm on the
camera shows me a good 2x1 pan framing, I whip out the Leica 75mm and do a
multi-frame stitch job.  I might add that with the "rule of thirds" grid
lines in the viewfinder, I can easily pre-visualize the 75mm frame as well
as the 2x1 stitch job that the 75mm can do.

And talk about lack of critical reviews, have you ever heard the medium
format digital people talk about ray angle and its affect on edge
sharpness?  Do they have some magic that has eluded the top 35mm
manufacturers?  As the a7r v. M240 MTF50 test results I noted in a previous
post make obvious, the MP count by itself is irrelevant for the edges.
The ray angle and quality of micro-lenses on the chip are huge factors off
axis.  Zeiss seems to be the leader in the ray angle reduction, and Leica
seems to be the leader in the micro-lens department.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

> Is this also true with the A7 (plain old 24MP camera)?
>

> Frank Filippone
> Red735i at verizon.net
>
> The Sony a7r focuses at approximately the the f-stop it is set at; it
opens
> what looks like maybe a half stop more than the shooting aperture.  You
can
> look at the front of the camera and see the iris opening just a bit when
> it's focusing.  It does not open all the way to wide open (f/2.8 for the
> 35mm FE) for easier focusing and brighter viewing.
>
> So, the a7r is unlike any modern SLR I am aware of.  The typical SLR stays
> wide open for viewing and focusing, and then stops down for the shot.
With
> an electronic viewfinder, the viewfinder is just as bright no matter how
> closed down the iris is, as long as the exposure (iris, shutter and ISO)
is

Message from gwpics at icloud.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R)
Message from roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark) ([Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R)