Subject: [Leica] Is it just me, or are these new Leica lenses a huge step up?
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel (gmail))
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:09:45 -0700

Yes, and I had to send them back to Leica twice along with the bodies for
them to get it right.

With the exception of the old 35mm Summilux ASPH, they were all focusing
just fine. That lens had a terrible focus shift problem that caused me to
blow quite a few shots over the years. The FLE version brings a huge
practical advantage. The 50mm Summicron has always been a reliable lens. No
focus shift, sharp, nice bokeh. But the new 50mm Summilux ASPH is juts
better. Biting sharpness and contrast, yet still a nice gentle rendering.
The new 18mm Super Elmar just blows away the old Elmarit 21 ASPH, even if
you compare them at f/4. The new 18 is simply incredible even wide open.
I'll bet the new Super Elmar 24 is fabulous.

--Jim