Subject: [Leica] Anyone here tried Platinum printing?
From: pkolodny1 at icloud.com (Pablo Kolodny)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:42:56 -0300

Hi Richard

Right you are in that of most of people making digital negs are on the Epson
side.
I had the chance to exchange some emails with one of engineers at HP who
designed those curves for alternative processes. Their job is great, for me
the best of best one can find out there in what respects to making contrast
curves and linearization. I had started it out first with Dan Burkholder's
and then with Mark Nelson's PDN systems and found myself sunk deep in the
ocean do awkwardness. And also saw that in both of cases prints came with
kinda compressed medium tones and washed whites/highlights. And all this
after a very hard work trying to figure and interpret stuff coming out of
scanner working as a spectrophotometer or even a spectrophotometer itself. A
real pain in the ass. Then a friend of mine got a HP Z3200 and I had the
chance to give that a try: how lucky a man I turned since then ! The evil
printer did almost all of the job by itself, even the contrast curve done
with its built-in spectrophotometer, and so well done. Then I found myself
coming back and forth to my friend's workspace, a pain in the ass.
Then I was back to my old Epson trying to resemble that the 3200 was capable
and found no way, my Epson inks weren't blocking UV enough. I am now working
with an HP but the z3100 because they block UV and actually found out
another system for making the curves up. It's called Chart Throb. They work
great and calibration is a piece of cake
Sent from me

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] Anyone here tried Platinum printing?)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Anyone here tried Platinum printing?)
Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Anyone here tried Platinum printing?)