Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ears
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 07:14:07 +0100

I have had a 4-bay Drobo for years with the only problem that it is very
s-l-o-w. I also have a Drobo 5d which is much more modern. Since one can
just transfer discs from an older to newer 5D I got another and transferred
the discs from the old 4 bay. I don't know whether it has a more exigent
drive testing algorithm in but it started all sorts of frightening
recommendations about changing discs and so on. It didn't occur to me that
it may be the machine (!) but just put in new discs where requested, the old
ones were indeed quite old. Anyway I replaced discs which were flagged as
warning, one by one, and after days of rebuilding it has worked fine ever
since.
OTOH I have had what may be a catastrophe with the first Drobo 5D which had
been running fine for 18 months.
Some file I was downloading off the internet suddenly stopped downloading
for some reason, don't know if it was my internet connection playing up (it
does) or the Drobo, but since it was not important and I was going out I
shut down the computer.
The Mac hung during shutdown and I pulled the Thunderbolt cable to my hard
drives (they are daisy chained together) and the computer shut down fine. I
shut down the Drobo "safely" using the rear switch toggle.

Anyway, it doesn't boot any more. Drobo help have been extremely helpful,
and I have tried all their suggestions and now even have a replacement unit
but the fault persists when I put the discs in it and is yet to be resolved.
I am waiting for their next suggestion. I reported the problem on 3rd July
so it has now been 2 weeks of experiments and diagnostics.
Luckily most, if not all, the important stuff on this Drobo has been backed
up elsewhere, so if I do lose the all the data it won't be -that- important.
But loads of funny and/or interesting clips pictures and documents
accumulated over the years from internet browsing will be gone. Most I will
never find again, so it is a shame.

I had considered the Drobo data protection system to be analogous to a
continuous backup but it seems it is not completely bullet proof.

I'll let everybody know if the problem gets fixed with no or minimal data
loss, but after 2 weeks I am not that optimistic any more.

Frank D.