Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:04:06 -0400

 So contrary to the assertions of the most avid Leicaholics on the LUG. you
don't get what you pay for. Like jewelry or cosmetics you get the price that
the market will bear.
Given the cost of the new models, I'm shocked, shocked that Leicas aren't
made of platinum and gold by Black Forest elves. I guess I'll stick with my
60 year old M3.
Larry Z
- - - -
I am surprised that the price has only doubled in real terms. Other
companies that have made the leap from manufacturers of relatively mass
market consumer durables to high luxury (like Montblanc and Rolex for
example) in the same period have seen much higher increases in prices in
real (i.e. inflation adjusted) terms. All these companies price their goods
at what the market will bear, and not on plebeian principles like cost
plus, so there is no point going down that road. It is like trying to
figure out the price of a Dior Couture dress by the cost of the cloth and
thread. Pointless.
Cheers
Jayanand

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Frank Filippone <red735i at
verizon.net>
wrote:

The new M-a is a box. Nothing more, nothing less. ?As such, the important
functions are RF accuracy and timing accuracy. ?In fact, there are no other
functions.

I would point out that this new analog M film camera is competing with ALL
the previous M cameras ever made. M4-2 or M4-p sell for $1,000 or
thereabouts. Used.

If you must buy new and do not want a meter, there is probably some NOS M4
stock still available, or the simple thing to do is to just take the
battery out of a NOS M6, which would cost you $1300 or so.

This new camera represents, IMO the using up of a lot of NOS parts, if you
will. ?It will sell to collectors and the rich and famous who may or may
not know it uses film...

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from Akhil.Lal at bcc.cuny.edu (Akhil Lal) ([Leica] Leica prices)