Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: Akhil.Lal at bcc.cuny.edu (Akhil Lal)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:08:46 -0400

As I have posted before, when analysing historic price trends it is
instructive to compare prices of consumer goods not to the official cpi, but
rather  to the rate at which the value of a primary residence has increased
over the period under consideration. In 1955 an M3, DS of course, with 50 mm
Summicron sold for approx DM 1100,  $ 275.  Today a new M7 + 50 Summicron
will cost $ 7400. Over the same period of time a 'starter' middle class home
in one of NYC's boroughs has gone from ca. 10k to  800k.

As Piketty and others have pointed out, we are living  in new Belle Epoch so
it is not a surprise to see that brands which were formerly accessible to
the middle class have adjusted their pricing (and market positioning) in
order attract a more upscale buyer and maximise profits.

BTW, this link from Fortune magazine might be of interest:

http://fortune.com/2012/05/06/how-top-executives-live-fortune-1955/

Regards,
Akhil