Subject: [Leica] Monochrom metadata and uncoded lenses
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 01:16:53 +0000

Even in film days some people were interested in this sort of thing; sheet
film photographers for lens/aperture/exposure/development, portraitists for
lighting and aperture etc.

I have been doing tests with Leica lenses recently. Would you have guessed
that until it is stopped down to f8 the Modular 400/4 lens is outperformed
by the 280/4 with 1.4x convertor? Neither is a cheap lens but the 280/4 is
more available and less than half the weight...

I like to know how my equipment performs before I use it, I will shoot some
(non-Leica) lenses wide open but I know that they perform better stopped
down two stops. That lets me know that I can shoot wide open but to stop
down if I can or image quality is more important on a static subject.
Likewise, stopping down too far degrades the image, so does that happen at
f8 or f11? After all we have spent the serious money on Leica as they
produce amongst the best lenses, what is wrong with knowing how to use them
well?

Of course this does not apply in sports or fast paced news scenarios, how
many people on this list shoot either?  And in this day and age how many of
those photographers use Leica??

 EXIF is automatic in all digital cameras, even yours, why get so agitated
about what others do?

john