Subject: [Leica] Some help please for rating pictures for my exhibition
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:42:11 -0800

Hi Lluis,
My immediate response is???? Go with your own HEART and GUT FEELINGS!  It's
your show! It isn't easy for the final selection. However, it is best "YOU
CUT IT RIGHT DOWN TO YOUR DECISION!"

Be tough in your selection, one more time! Then go back and do it again even
tighter! THEN AGAIN ONE MORE TIME!!!  Certainly before you throw it open for
the many hundreds of eyes from the LUG! Who will more than likely create the
biggest confusion you'll ever have in your life!:-( IT WOULD AND WILL BE A
MASS OF CONFUSION!

Selection by the masses never works!! As they can't hardly agree on a single
Friday Flower?
And you think the LUG Rat-Pack are going to select the best photos
representing some of the best work of your life?

NEVER HAPPEN MY FRIEND!! :-( BITE THE BULLET AND SELECT YOUR OWN!!!! And if
you should go for some selection advice? Have a few of the lads living there
in Europe who can stand by your side and look at real prints while
discussing the selection!! Not off the screen!

I've had to edit the works of many hundreds of photographers during my
tenure as assisting director of the NFB Stills department back in the early
'70s! Trust me, "A gang bang edit selection effort?"

ISN'T WORTH THE EFFORT AS IT ONLY CREATES A HUGE AMOUNT OF CONFUSION FOR THE
ARTIST WHOSE PHOTOGRAPHY WILL BE SHOWN!

Ask yourself this question? "Would HCB ask more than 200 photographers to
select his images for a gallery showing of his photography?"   NOT ON YOUR
LIFE! So suck it up, edit hard and tough and do it several times and during
different times of the day! Walk away if and when you feel stressed out!
That's why you edit at different times of the day and only when you feel up
for another look!

But for heaven's sake do not post them for the LUG CREW to select! Complete
confusion will reign.
cheers,
Dr. ted