Subject: [Leica] Monochrom metadata and uncoded lenses
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 09:45:15 -0800

Frank Dernie OFFERED MOST INTERESTINLY:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Monochrom metadata and uncoded lenses

>>The camera measures the difference between the light coming through the
lens onto the exposure meter cells and the light impinging on the little
frosted plastic window on front of the camera. It calculates from the
difference what the aperture value must be. It is not spot on but good
enough for record keeping.
Frank D.<<<<

HI Frank
Please accept this question not as some "smart-ass question from a
non-technical photographer?"

But please explain in common-man's language  "what does much of this
actually do for the quality of the photo content?" I read about this stuff,
then look at some of the captured images with some of these so called wonder
cameras  compared to those out of an M3--M5 --M6 and my immediate re-action
is? "SO BIG DEAL THE PHOTO IS CRAP!"

If long before all this new fangled whiz-bang "COSTLY MANUFACTURING CAME IN
VOGUE?" Creating a double, nay a tripling in some cases of a Leica cost.
Along with so much  other weird named stuff?

Many many people shot magnificent photo moments of incredible subjects and
captured "LIFE TIME MOMENTS!". And some if not many? Are still doing so!

This stuff we're talking about, does it really really make your photos rate
being on the cover of "LIFE? LOOK" PARIS MATCH, DER SPEGIAL????? NATIONAL
GEO?  If so then fair enough and I'll stop questioning all.

However? If it does diddlysquat but get the "belly hairs on some scientific
gizmo designer excited?" Certainly without obvious in the image content? Why
bother the buyers in doubling the cost of the cameras?

If whatever they add on will make my photos jump off the pages of my new
books? Fair enough, I'll shut up for ever! Now if ever there was a tough
call about me and equipment ????????? I'll have to bite my tounge very hard!
:-(

Thank you for your usual kind and understanding responses.

cheers,
ted

---

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] Monochrom metadata and uncoded lenses)