Subject: [Leica] So much for "film is forever"..
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 16:17:23 -0400

>From the Library of Congress  (USA)
"Does the Library of Congress recommend microfilming or digitization for
reformatting institutional collections?....

" That said, the end of microfilming is near, despite it's relatively low
cost and the several hundred year projected lifetime of preservation film.
The National Endowment for the Humanities no longer funds grants for
microfilming and microfilm readers are increasingly difficult to maintain
and service."

http://www.loc.gov/preservation/about/faqs/reformatting.html#prescopy

Recognizing Digitization as a Preservation Reformatting Method
http://chnm.gmu.edu/digitalhistory/links/pdf/preserving/8_34a.pdf

On 5/14/15 1:17 AM, "Spencer Cheng" <spencer at aotera.org> wrote:

> Canadian Archive uses microfiche which are stable for 100+ years (or
> acid-free
> paper for documents). The Canadian census was stored that way. ?was?
> because I
> am not sure we have a real census any more.

Digital storage is very
> ephemeral. I doubt if most digital storage will last more than 10 years.
> Those
> 1?s randomly change to 0?s far too frequently. I don?t think archivist like
> digital media very much.

Regards,
Spencer