Subject: [Leica] why (long; was: FS: prices reduced! R8/DMR, 2x APO-Extender-R, STA-1, 60 Macro
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 20:11:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Several LUGgers have asked off list why I'm offering this equipment for sale
so on the theory that others have the same question but haven't asked yet,
the answers:

The biggest biggie is that I'm getting older.  An accident 20 years ago left
one shoulder with arthritis, likewise 30 years writing engineering software
resulted in tendonitis (which ought to clear up if I don't use my dominant
hand for a year or so).  It's painful to pick up a camera, the heavier the
camera the more painful.  Leica-R equipment has never been featherweight
stuff, even among other SLR cameras let along compared with a rangefinder
Leica.

The second biggest biggie is this stuff is too precious.  It freaks me out
thinking what I'd have to do and what I'd have to pay to replace anything in
case of damage or loss.  I'm very protective of DMR battery packs, the plain
matte view screen with DMR crop marks, chargers, the 280 APO? they're all
made of Unobtainium.  I recently passed on a local heron rookery in a
questionable neighborhood because of the huge disparity between the cash
value of the equipment and the average local income; this was especially
worrisome because I'd have have been pretty much oblivious to everything but
the birds.

The 280 APO isn't looking for a new home, but it may be restricted to no
more than 100 meters from the truck.  There are comparable readily-available
lenses nearly half the weight and 1/10 the cash value that produce most of
the image quality I'm looking for.

Another factor: Leica isn't producing anything I can use, and the market
price of second-hand Leica-R equipment I'd be interested in has gotten
silly.  I see no indication that Leica will be targeting my market segment
or demographic any time in the future.  For the last couple of years the 280
has been my only long lens; anything longer to fit the R8/DMR is either very
old with image properties I want to avoid, or made of Unobtainium and priced
accordingly.  Not to mention the weight.

I'm considering many options but the highest on the list by a good margin is
the Sony A7II.  Full frame, more pixels-per-duck than the DMR, sensor-based
stabilization, can use many many lenses with adapters including my Precious,
the 280 APO.  I'll miss the DMR's color quality, the view through the
optical viewfinder and the auto-aperture function on the 280 but with the
Sony the long-lens options are many, often affordable, and are stabilized
without f***ing with the optical properties of the lens.  Many of these
options are half the weight of the R8/DMR + 280 APO.  Example: Canon FD
500mm f/4.5 L (adapted to the R8 for testing):

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/fringillidae/haemorhous/hofinc24.html

The Canon 500 + A7II weighs less than the R8/DMR + 280 APO.

One big downside as I see it: I have to sell some other stuff to pay for the
A7II & adapters.  So if you're interested in any of my Leica-R stuff EXCEPT
the 280 APO let me know. Or if you want a print, or a workshop.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
http://doug-herr.fineartamerica.com