Subject: [Leica] OT Sensor rot
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 23:43:12 -0700

Here?s the final ending of the M9 sensor rot story I phoned Leica this
morning (about  3 PM their time) and for the first time the phone was
answered by a very snarky woman. All she would tell me was that my camera
needed a new sensor. When I asked to speak to the technician, she said
customers don?t get to speak to technicians. When I made reference to an
upgrade to an M 240, she said that since a camera store sent it in, I had to
speak to the camera store!!!.

So, I phoned Keeble and Shuchat, and the nice chap there told me that
technically, she was right, but !!! He also said that they had also asked
the store to send in a picture showing the fault. He wondered why they
couldn?t put a card in the camera and take a picture themselves. So, he
promised to make inquiries of Leica as to a deal, and would phone me,
probably tomorrow. To my surprise, he phoned me this afternoon with the
info. a) I can get an upgrade to an MP for around $350 (I don?t remember the
exact price, because I didn?t care) or b) an upgrade to an M 240 for $3000.
I decided this afternoon to accept that offer, and will phone K&S tomorrow
morning. I?ll just consider it my 93d birthday present.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204