Subject: [Leica] IMG: Stop!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 08:44:07 -0700

Gerry Walden offered:

>>> Over my 50+ years of photography many books have been a great influence
on the way I see, and I could probably make a list as long as your arm, but
few have had an effect that has made me rethink the way I work or see the
world.<<<

Hi Gerry,
I believe each and every one of us have been influenced by photos of others
at sometime in our photo lives. It usually depends on the type of photo
activity we venture into? Portrait? Street? Advertising, whatever?

But the paramount end to our own qualities come from within ourselves and
our sense of "OBSERVATION!" How we relate to the world/light/action and
every other part of our own abilities to "SEE!"

While I had a look at your "STOP" photo I nipped over to your portfolio!
Quite frankly my LUG friend your "Art of Observation?" is absolutely
wonderful and full of captured life and subject moments many here only dream
about!  OR?  "You will have a following" in which instead of you being
influenced?  You will be the "Influencing photographer!" For others.

I think once in awhile posting a "portfolio type" message where viewers see
a collection of photos rather than a one photo at a time such as a single
"Friday Flower" or like single image.

What this will do is? Allow CREW members to appreciate another's abilities
far more than the one photo at a time.

I don't mean a flood of portfolios. But assemble a series of a dozen or so
photos of what the posting photog may consider others might enjoy as a
collection? Rather than plinking one photo at a time.

Of note! The only reason I wrote this is quite simple really. Because I'm
quite taken with your "ART of OBSERVATION!" illustrated in your attached
portfolio!  Good on you Lad!

cheers,
Dr. ted

changed us, and up there has to be people like Jeanloup Sieff,
Cartier-Bresson, Ernst Haas and many others.
However a book entered my life recently, namely 'Light, Gesture and Color'
by Jay Maisel which knocked me sideways, and has made me look at my
environment through totally different eyes. To this end I am adding here one
of my latest images which is so far out of the normal for me. I hate to say
it but I don't care whether you like it or or not, it is for me and Jay!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gwpics/_2AE3606.jpg.html
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gwpics/_2AE3606.jpg.html>

---

Replies: Reply from gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] IMG: Stop! - for Ted)