Subject: [Leica] If not Lightroom, ...
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:55:36 +0100

I have had Photoshop since V3 Mark, so not as long as you.
OTOH about 75% of what it is designed for I have never used, since it is not
really only appropriate for conventional photography but mainly creating
artwork sometimes using the last vestiges of a photograph as a root. I am
neither artistic enough, nor talented enough at those Photoshop specifics,
to do any of this.

What I like about Lightroom is that it stripped out of Photoshop those
features it had which were very specific to presenting photographs in a
normal way.

When I bought Photoshop originally I had to buy it with a whole suite of
other programmes which I did not use at all.

Now I can buy a photographer-centric version of Photoshop - Lightroom,
without paying for all the useless, to me, functionality of the full
programme. I was a bit like not having to buy a whole suite of programmes
just to get Photoshop.
I do not consider it to be inexpensive in comparison to Photoshop since it
is effectively just buying the part of Photoshop which I need and paying
nowt for the part that I don?t ever use.

On top of that its file organisation is better than Bridge for photographs
in my opinion.

So IME the full version of Photoshop is a waste of money for a photographer
whose intention is to produce excellent quality prints from their exposures,
and catalogue them rather than take the exposure as a basis for a bit of
artwork.

cheers,

Frank