Subject: [Leica] The SL
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 03:39:32 -0500

Perhaps they're going to have to eventually decide if they want you to buy
their new lenses  just out or use  our glass from the previous chemically
based millennium.. There is public relations value in being able to use old
glass. It makes them look good. They used to try to be less obsolescence
involved than other camera companies. Old bodied could get turned into newer
versions. They were upgradeable in effect.
We spend a ton on their glass and we can still use them as technologies
evolve. A good thing. On the other hand they may want their clients of the
past living in the present. Me I'd love to be able to use my M glass on a
digital full frame camera which is not going to break the bank. And not
require two bodies one in the shop and one which actually works.
The SL when I first saw it has R glass solution written all over it.
Its named after a camera which took R glass (I think.)
Using R glass on an M turning an M into a metal munching beast seems less
than ideal to me.