Subject: [Leica] The SL
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:22:28 -0800
References: <27117471.1445962141242.JavaMail.root@elwamui-norfolk.atl.sa.earthlink.net> <CAGHtf7HioE0GZpm+JzmkrUWyhY6uwtz8+A1XhFboQvQCNadN8w@mail.gmail.com> <CAJCexzD6ma8Ao1DfvcZUWFGKjPJPqYWrzWPcMSmXj8nGUpck9g@mail.gmail.com> <CA+yJO1DVHpGGZNCKQT=32VNv_Lu7j1t=mQruR1KWGKg_kgmPxg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh51rLMJioj2+g6SY5Mpp8fx66T7nO9rR+a1501b_ya9CQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJCexzA6d1SDgiX22gjm+H6A0kDZ-u_mMbqFw_DkQ1Wa_rGpSg@mail.gmail.com> <107601d1115e$1e6aaa80$5b3fff80$@mcmaster.fr> <CABNC8Spp-O+sWnYFkb+TymAPX2xnXN9Y0E07BO2h6puv4VL=OA@mail.gmail.com> <002d01d115c2$733336f0$5999a4d0$@verizon.net> <CAJCexzCPmz4-DLVWMOa8XL-ikAM7X=1=cNpg=uZpHzsx_9jfdQ@mail.gmail.com> <004101d115cb$93f11610$bbd34230$@verizon.net> <CAH1UNJ2ShmLWBRYZ7sLJO4PW+m67N8Li-QSfGT815e4VwTDOWA@mail.gmail.com>

One word answer..... No.

The easy part is the auto aperture.... which is a simple linear actuator
requirement.  The hard part will be the transfer of set aperture to the
body.
I have forgotten ( if I even ever knew)  how the Leicaflex transferred
Aperture information to the body, but I do not think it was electrical... I
think it was a mechanical linkage....
That could be done with a pretty simple resistive element.....   If this
were implemented, it would mean Aperture Priority only.....  ( metering
system adjusts shutter speed to get proper exposures)

Again, my Analog Circuit Design background allows me to think of this... it
does not mean Leica agrees.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Is there any technical reason why this is difficult (Auto Exposure feature
for R lenses)? Nikon DSLR AF lenses work fine on the Nikon 1 mirrorless
systems, with both AF and AE (most features) enabled via an adapter.
Cheers
Jayanand

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Frank Filippone <red735i at verizon.net>
wrote:
> If it were as easy as a simple tube, which is the adapter without the
> auto feature, there is no reason that it would not have been available
> now.  It is so trivial, that the Chinese copy cats have probably already
done it.....
> ( somewhat tongue in cheek.)... Checking after I wrote that, I found
> that Novoflex has the adapter ( dumb, no auto feature), called the
> LET/LER.  So you can use your R lenses on your SL body, as soon as they
ship them.....

> That is the primary reason I think that it will the Auto feaqture.....
> that it is taking a year to come out.....
>
> I have no real info, nor am I on the inside track at Leica.....  I am
> purely speculating...
>
> But if it did have the Auto feature, it would be the single most
> brilliant implementation Leica has had since the LTM to M adapters.....
about 1953.

Message from geneduprey2015 at gmail.com (Gene Duprey) ([Leica] The SL)
Message from alal at nyu.edu (Akhil Lal) ([Leica] The SL)
Message from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] The SL)