Subject: [Leica] M8 type cover glass on a Full Frame body
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:41:14 -0500

A good way t0 get some slight darkening of skies as red hyper sensitive
films would do is just use a yellow green filter. This will have the added
benefit of some slight lightening of foliage. Also people look better. Not
worse.
Tri x is another red extended film. Peoples cheeks and lips come out just a
big pale exactly what you don't want. Not that it's seemed to bother
anybody.
A yellow green B+W 060 filter is really in effect a  super UV filter.
Or a UV filter which really does something. It restores something resembling
true panchromatic-ness to films said to be panchromatic but where are not.
Like all of them.
I'm going to start experimenting with lens filtration with digital
photography its amazing how on this thing they call the internet no one out
of 6 billion photo enthusiasts seems to have thought of doing that and
writing up their results on some stupid blog.. Starting with using cooling
filters at night. As most of what I get wants to be way warm . And when you
cool it down to neutral color as you would printing from film you end up
with a thin looking lifeless image. The reason I think being the color which
is doing most of the exposing is being taken out.

On 11/24/15 1:49 PM, "Paul Roark" <roark.paul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any public information on whether an M8 type cover glass is
available
> for full frame sensors?

Where I'm going with this is that I actually prefer
> an extended red
sensitivity for B&W work.  I'm an old Tech Pan film shooter,
> and I thought
its rendering was closer to how I print landscapes than was
> standard B&W
(or color) film.

Given my style of shooting, what could be a
> step forward, at least in
spectral sensitivity, might be an M8 type glass, but
> on a modern full frame
camera -- Leica M or Sony a7r lines being the top
> contenders for me.

While I'm a B&W printer mostly, I'd still rather have the
> M8 glass on a
color sensor.  Filtering (including the "split channels" in
> Photoshop)  and
selecting by color range is too important for me to switch to
> a Monochrome
-- or so I think for now.

(I have the question in to
> http://kolarivision.com/ also and will let