Subject: [Leica] ASA One Million+!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 07:46:31 -0500

I heard the guy say it and I was not sure if I was hearing things.
Last night at a Nikon D5/ D500 introduction they were giving at a secret
high tech B&H room upstairs.
"1 point 6 4 million" he said.
And he was talking about the D500 which is DX cropped but cost two grand.
He'd already talked about the D5 full frame flagship about out and cost 6.5
grand.  Who pays that kind of money for a camera body? :)
I didn't hear him say the word "million" when giving out the specks on that
one. But looked it up just now and found it. ISO Three Million!
(Great for shooting the dark side of the moon at midnight without a rocket
ship.)

You numbers guys: how many f stops more is 3,000,ooo than the measly 6400
cruising speed iso I'm topped off at now but which I do a good amount of my
shooting walking home from movies at night. And can shoot anything I can
see. No street lights have to be anywhere near.
Inquiring Rabs wants to know.

I'm guessing I can shoot a black cat in a coal mine at midnight springing
through the air at an imaginary moth frozen solid mid leap in near total
darkness. That's my guess. Stopped down to 5.6. Every hair on its back
frozen.
Its the future folks.
Star Trek rules and Star Wars is Mickey Mouse.

In the past years the flagship Nikon camera went up to around a half a
million. So that's what kind of leap has been made.

"At iso 1.64 million you get plenty of noise" the guy said.
"as it is 1.64 million what do you want?
I'd like to know what iso I could be shooting with to get the same kind of
results I'm getting now at 6400. Which is  2 stops more than the 1600 I'd
been shooting at with film. Neopan 1600. No longer made.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

Replies: Reply from abridge683 at fastmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] ASA One Million+!)