Subject: [Leica] Moon & Jupiter with 135mm Apo-Telyt-M
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:17:01 -0700

There was a nice full (or close to it) moon last night.  So, I was curious
how the 135mm Leica Apo-Telyt would do when shooting it with the Sony.  The
result, cropped to show just the moon at 100%, is here:

http://www.paulroark.com/Moon-at-100pc_DSC0769-1000iso-1000th-f45.jpg

This was taken hand held with the Sony a7rii at 1/1000 second, IS enabled,
1000 iso, and f/4.5.

There were some small, light clouds drifting by, and Jupiter was rather
prominent in the sky just above the moon.  So I wondered if I could make
something out of this combination.  See the shot I just put on my web home
page here:

http://www.paulroark.com/

The clouds were quite a bit darker than the moon.  They needed 1/15 of a
second exposure.  So, I was able to catch both the moon and the clouds by
setting the speed to 1/125 and using the auto bracketing set to cover plus
and minus 3 stops.

The frame is cropped to an 8x10 ratio with pixel dimensions 5303x4243.

You might be interested to see what viewers of a very large print might see
if they focus carefully on Jupiter and the dark night sky around it.  Here
is the 100% view of that part of the file:

http://www.paulroark.com/Jupiter-3-21-2016-at-100pc.jpg

I'm having my fun with this new Lecia M lens.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Moon & Jupiter with 135mm Apo-Telyt-M)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Moon & Jupiter with 135mm Apo-Telyt-M)