Subject: [Leica] My beloved M9...... And all you folk with glass corrosion issues
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 16:12:22 -0700

My M9 died while on a recent long vacation.  Day 8 ( June 2 or so) of a 42
day trip.  Luckily I had a Fuji XE-1 as a backup and used it with my Leica
lenses with success.

The camera symptom was that the Sensor cover glass ( AA filter, if you
prefer that language) fell off the sensor.  It was wandering around inside
the camera.

There is a glue seal that attaches the glass to the sensor  cavity, and the
glue joint failed.  ( the seal is basically double sticky scotch tape... or
fancy equivalent).

The camera was returned for repair to Leica.  It has now been about 10 days
and I heard the result today..Leica is going to fix it.

That is probably pretty uninteresting, until you hear HOW they are going to
handle the repair...

They are going to put on a new glue seal and do the standard calibration.

No mention of a new cover plate, but when the camera comes back, I will
check the firmware version..   We have already hashed that issue out..

I would imagine that those of you with the corrosion issue,  and opting for
the repair, are getting the same basic treatment..  A new glue seal and a
new glass cover plate.

Not a new or refurbished sensor assembly.  A new glass cover plate.

FYI: I was not offered an upgrade path.  ( and I am not rich enough to have
taken it if I had been offered)

But I am thankful.  Very thankful.

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net