Subject: [Leica] IMGS: IR Attempts
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:18:49 -0500

Tina, I have never done IR, but I've read enough to be dangerous.

It  looks like you got close to what you want in 3371.  The exposure is
close to perfect.

On the old LTM lenses, such as the Summitar that I have above my
computer, there is an IR focusing index, marked by an "R".  The
procedure, as I recall it, was to focus with the rangefinder, note where
the normal focusing index fell on the scale, and then move the RED index
to the same point on the scale.

On the Summitar, the RED index is about 1/16 of an inch to the right of
the normal index, but this can vary from lens to lens.  I would suggest
you mount your camera on a tripod and then vary the focus point plus or
minus about 1/4 inch in small steps, and then chimp the images.  You
should be able to find a point that is close to correct for any
particular lens.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA