Subject: [Leica] IMGS: IR Attempts
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:47:13 -0400

Hi, Tina?

You may have missed the thread I initiated some time ago about this same
thing.

You?re using the same camera and lens that I am, but your filter admits more
visible deep red than my 093 filter. Are you focusing using one of the DOF
lines to the right of the normal focus index? IR focuses as if the subject
were closer than it is.

If you?re doing this, then you may be having the same problem that I am. My
suspicion, though surprisingly i have not been able to confirm this despite
extensive searching online, is that this lens (and perhaps lenses in general
designed for conventional photography) is not achromatized for the IR range
as it is for the visual spectrum. That means that IR of shorter wavelengths,
say just over the line from deep red, is not brought to the same focal plane
as IR of longer wavelengths from the very same subject. This of course is
not an effect that can be compensated for by using a different focusing
index. I shot the same scenes using every line from normal to f/22 as my
focus index and could not get sharp images, though best results were at
f/5.6. Shooting at a high f/ratio may help, though I couldn?t get rid of
unsharpness even at f/22. But the same lens in visible light produces fine
images.

If you?re NOT using, say, the f/5.6 DOF marker as the focusing index, then
try that. If this is the case, I?ll be very interested in whether you get
good sharpness. If you do, then my theory is down the drain.

See my results here
<http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/gallery/>. The degree of
unsharpness that I get looks about the same as yours. People who get sharper
results with IR photography than we do may be using filters that pass more
deep red. If this deep red and near IR are much more intense than the deeper
IR that passes our filters, and are mostly responsible for producing the
image, and the lens is more nearly achromatic across this limited range that
is closer to the visible, that may be why.

Good luck!

?howard