Subject: [Leica] Arctic full set
From: hjwulff at gmail.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 17:28:46 -0700

Thanks, Rick. Yes; that is one of my favourites as well (and George picked
it too - thank you George!). The shadings of blues to white were amazing,
and it all changes continually.

The amount of ice was very low. We had to actually go out of our way a bit
to find the ice floes that were part of the ones we 'boarded'. The ones we
saw with the bears on them we came across on our normal passage.

https://www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice/?lang=En&n=542306E5-1  is a map depicting
the sea ice in the whole of northern Canada and
https://www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice/  is the portal to more detailed ice maps
that we got to see on a daily basis

The area that we were travelling through is still ice free over 90% of our
route, and the area that has ice has at most 50% coverage right now. We
didn't see or go into any area that had even 20% coverage.

Some of the search expeditions that went looking for Franklin in the late
1840's couldn't progress more than 10 or 15km per summer for multiple years
in a row before becoming ice bound again.

Henning Wulff
hjwulff at gmail.com