Subject: [Leica] How did 50mm become the "normal" lens for 35mm cameras?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:46:39 +0100

I quite agree Mark.
If you look at an object straight ahead then with arms outstretched move
your index finger in an arc from in front of you until you just stop being
aware of them you see that your visual field is about 180 degrees, mine is
anyway. On the other hand, as you say, the bit one concentrates on is quite
small. My preference of lens to represent the view "as I see it" needs a
85/90mm lens. A 35 is on the limit for me as a maximum wide angle for
observational pictures. OTOH one can get really good visual effects with
wider, it is just that the resulting picture bears no resemblance to what I
see naturally, for me.
So for me I use 35mm or longer for normal photography. I find 28mm neither
one thing nor the other, and don?t remember when I last used mine, and wider
for special effects and fun or if I can?t get far enough away from my
subject for a natural perspective.
Frank D.